Wednesday, November 21, 2018

1st: Dead Horse 30k

This was my 3rd race in 4 weeks. I felt confident and ready, as I drove over, after last weeks win at the US Sky Running Franklin Mountains. Then, as I drove through Glenwood Canyon, traffic slowed and stopped. There had been an accident somewhere up ahead and there was nothing to do but wait. The traffic was about 2 miles backed up from the accident and the cars backed up further behind me for miles like early pioneers in their covered wagons waiting for everyone else to start. I sat for over an hour waiting like everyone else. Finally, after what seemed like forever, we slowly inched forward, merged into 1 lane and 15 minutes later got around the accident which by this time was mostly cleaned up.

I arrived at the start near midnight, a substantial bit later than I had hoped or anticipated; but here at last I settled down into bed and was soon fast asleep. The morning dawned clothed in crisp, cold, and clear daylight. The took my time relaxed, yet focused, readying for the race. Leisurely, I made it to the start and then we were off.

The course follows a 4 x 4 road out 4.5 mile before connecting with mostly circular single track and slick rock track for 7+ miles before returning to the 4 x 4 road to retrace your steps the 4.5 miles back to the finish.

The gun was up and we were off. The pace was reasonable yet respectable but not relaxed we were going to be racing today. I sat in about 3rd or 4th pace after the first 6 minute mile. Then we ran smack into mile 2 with a nice 400 foot hill. I took the lead and set a respectable pace up the incline running the slowest mile of the race in 7:24. This did give me a slight lead and I bounded down the hill and kept the tempo going. At mile 5, on a sharp bend up a steep hill, I could see lead was about 30-40 seconds. Not much. Christian Kerr was on my tail, hammering, staring with eyes fixed on me racing and hungry to pass. I could not let up. We hit the slick rock. I rolled along enjoying the curves and the aesthetics of the trail. I was thankful for the Hoka Challengers that provided ample traction and support for the trail. I tried pushing the pace some more, but one can only do so much on the technical trail. I kept my eyes fixated ensuring that I did not take a wrong turn.

I rolled as fast as I could slowly watching the miles tick off under my feet. The miles were honest: low 6 minute mile after low 6 minute mile. My lead grew slowly to just over 70 seconds. I finished off the slick rock and started on the last 5 miles back to the start. I ran by the last aid station and yelped out so they would know I passed through. They were not expecting anyone just yet. I ran yet in complete control running the maintainable pace. Over the next 3 mile I managed to increase my lead but only by a mere 2 seconds.

With 2 miles to go I knew I had to maintain the speed. I had a 70 second lead and knew I had to run fast. I maintained the lead down the hill, now only 1 mile to the finish. Christian was surging. I raced towards the finish running my fastest mile in 5:28, Christian ran a blistering 5:16. I finished in first in 1:48:02 setting the course record, about 1 minute in front of Christian. A great day and solid run! Felt fantastic running so fast.
Photo courtesy of Denise Rick of Mad Moose Racing. Thank Mad Moose Racing!



No comments:

Post a Comment