Tuesday, October 23, 2018

3rd Place Leadville Silver Rush & 2nd Place Kendall Mountain

4th time for the Leadville Silver Rush 50. 50 miles is a long way and a lot can happen. I was ready for a great race. I started off with a nice walk/hike up the first 50 meter hill and then started running. Soon I found myself with Josh Eberly and in the lead. Josh had been 3rd here last year when I was 2nd. Obviously Josh was in shape! We ran together but I knew sooner or later he would drop the hammer. I tried to stay consistent and run within myself. Sure enough after running together for the first 15 miles it was time to race. Josh put in a short surge and took the lead going up a hill. By Mile 25 he only had a few minute lead. I could catch him. I kept running and stayed in control. Near mile 34 I was passed by eventual 2nd place finisher Carlos Ruibal. I was not bonking and my pace was solid but Carlos was ready for a 2 mile surge. I ignored being passed and stuck to my race. I ran all the way of the Sherman Road and turned for the final 10 miles to the finish. I finished in 7:13:41 a whole whopping 6 seconds faster than last year. 


One week after the Silver Rush 50 I drove over to Silverton the evening before the race and camped out a few miles away. I felt ready to roll and hopeful for a good race. Early the next day the race was underway. I took the lead and pushed the pace with Dakota Jones immediately on my tail. He quickly surged ahead and took the lead. We were 1 mile in and already had dropped the rest of the racers. Dakota maintained a slight lead while I continually tried to close the gap. We finally summited with Dakota only about 10 second in front of me. I could close this gap. Or so I thought. Dakota turned on his downhill afterburners and was gone. I ran down hill consistently but did not try to pick up the pace. Dakota was gone and I was securely in 2nd place. I ran down and finished in a solid time. I wore the Hoka Challenger ATRs. They had the proper grip and the prefect cushion for that downhill.

No comments:

Post a Comment